Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Good Day

Lately it seems my Saturdays with Simon haven't gone terribly well.  They've been turning into Battles of Will... not fun.  Not the way I want to spend my one day with my boy.  Sometimes I feel like a single parent that only sees him every few weeks and I gotta pack ALL THE FUN into one day and treat him to whatever I can think of. 

Today was different.  We didn't get a lot of time together.  We both took something like four hour naps and woke up around 2:30 this afternoon.  Then we had some lunch and after an hour of working on him to get him ready to go out to the store we were off.  He was really upset about leaving certain toys behind and was crying so hard, begging to be picked up from the cart.  I'm all about picking up my boy when he needs a hug, but I also have fallen for that one too many times in the store.  It typically results in me holding him by the collar talking to him through gritted teeth. 

We were almost done so I talked him into going to see the dog.  Every time he goes to Target we take him to the wall of TV's to see the commercial with the dog.  Sometimes I feel like I must look like a horrible mother parking him in front of those TV's but there really is a reason.  I feel like I have to justify it to everyone around me.  "Really, he just wants to see the dog.  Honest."

Then we passed the dollar corner with all the whatnot. He found a little stuffed bear with a heart that he fell in love with.  It's kinda shoddy looking, but man, he picked it up and hugged it and kissed it and loved on it.  So he came home with us.  So did a little foam airplane for throwing.  We had some good fun throwing it around the living room.  It's perfect because he can throw it to his heart's content and not hurt anything.

Then, miracle of miracles, he actually ate dinner!  I made tortellini and got out one of his new divided plates.  One spot had tortellini, another had sauce for dipping, and man oh man, the third had PEAS!  He was so flippin excited about those peas.    He ate everything up.  Then we sat on the couch and watched a bit of a movie.  I had my popcorn, he had more peas.  He kept snuggling with me. 

He was silly after his bath, jumping around off his bed.  I tried to take a picture to send Daddy since he was at work.  I got a decent one and was texting it to Daddy and asked Simon what he wants me to tell him.  Simon made his L for Love sign.  My heart almost broke from the sweet.

After I put him to bed I heard him sorta starting to cry and whimper.  I didn't want it to turn into a big thing so I went in to check on him.  He couldn't find Frog.  So we searched all his blankets and found him.  I tucked him back in and kissed him.  He said, "Please turn out the light."  Then my heart did break from the sweet.

Hi, Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment