Thursday, December 1, 2011

Smack

So we're back in the hospital for Simon's last chemo.  This evening he was getting tired and cranky which means he plays with his IV.  This time he had one tube in each hand yanking on it like Pa Ingalls working the team with the plow.  Then he chews on it.  then he grabs the bag and just yanks.  I was trying to get everything ready for him to go to bed and a bit frustrated because he won't leave the thing alone.  I very lightly smacked his hand because telling him no 300 times did no good.  I don't believe in physical punishment at all but there's not a lot I can do.  All his toys had been flung out of the crib.  I can't distract him when he gets like that.  I can't take the IV away.  I didn't know what else to do.  Just after I did that he took a swipe at me.  How can I tell him not to hit if I'm going to not practice what I preach?  It really hit home that physical punishment is really not for me.

Tonight when I gave him his bottle he was all curled up on my lap like when he was all new except he was almost folded in half to fit there.  I studied the shape of his lips and it reminded me of when I first really saw him.  For some reason that was something I focused on then also.


No comments:

Post a Comment