Saturday, May 12, 2012

He's Two!

I'm not much of a party planner or thrower.  But after the year he's been through, Simon deserves a party, dangit.  I thought I'd keep it simple, a little pot luck picnic thing at the park.  I'd order sandwiches and got squirt guns, bubbles, and Frisbees.  Of course we got a late start.  Our morning consisted of Skyping with Grandma and Grandpa, eating cinnamon rolls while watching cartoons, and opening a present whenever he got really cranky. 

I went to pick up sandwiches but they were at a different HEB down the road.  It wasn't so horribly far, but at noon on a Saturday the traffic was pretty bad.  Blaine went to pick them up and got back just in time to see Simon dive into this pond thing at the park.  I was right behind Simon chasing after him but was pretty worn out from the heat and the hills and several trips to the car.  I screamed for help and fished him out but we were both pretty shaken up.  Between the sandwiches and party goods getting there late and us recovering from the incident, things dragged on a bit too long and he was cranky and ready for a nap.  The squirt guns didn't work.  I guess no one was interested in bubbles or Frisbees.  I ate a few bites of food while catching up with my sisters-in-law, helped him eat cake, opened presents and got him the heck home.  For supper we had KFC and he was beyond ready for bed again so no dessert. 

I love my boy dearly, but I reckon next year we'll keep it even more simple.  Here's hoping this year goes better and next May we can avoid the BWD.










2 comments:

  1. Look at that cake! That's incredible. Mac would die. Happy bday, Simon! Congrats, mama :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was awesome and about four times too big.

      Delete